Frequently Asked Questions
What does it take to get admitted into the counselor education program?
Please see the admission page for details on requirements for admission into the program.
I already have a master's degree in an unrelated field. Do I still need to complete all of the admission requirements?
Not necessarily. You will need to send in the transcripts from your master's degree, the application for admission and the application fee. Additionally, you will need to participate in the interview session.
I took the GRE and/or MAT test over five years ago, will those scores count?
Yes. Test scores are valid; however, the Educational Testing Service (E.T.S.) will not have record of scores older than five years.
May I take classes before being formally admitted in the program?
Yes. You may take up to six credits before being formally admitted into the program. The courses you take will count toward the program requirements.
I have a master's degree in counseling but need coursework for licensure. May I take classes?
Yes. You are able to take courses for licensure; however, the practicum and internship are not included. Additionally, you must send in your transcripts, along with the application for admission and application fee.
If studying in the marital, couple and family counseling program, may I also study to become a school counselor?
Yes. Fully admitted students are able to receive an endorsement in one (or all) of the programs offered. They must take the required coursework, in addition to obtaining the hours necessary for practicum and internship.
I teach in the local school district. Is there a tuition discount offered?
Yes. For individuals who work for the public school district or a non-profit agency, a tuition discount is available. It is your responsibility to complete the necessary paperwork each semester.
What if I have a master's degree in counseling but only need a practicum and internship, will I be allowed to enroll?
It will be necessary for you to contact the program coordinator to discuss your particular circumstance. Normally, students are not allowed to only register for and take a practicum/internship unless they are a fully admitted student in the program.
How do I become a licensed mental health counselor (L.M.H.C.), licensed marriage and family therapist (L.M.F.T.) or certified school counselor?
For individuals who want to pursue careers as either a mental health counselor or marriage and family therapist, you will need to complete the counselor education program, register as an intern upon graduation, identify a qualified supervisor, register for and take the licensure exam and accrue your 2,000 post-master's degree hours under supervision.
For individuals who want to pursue a career as a school counselor and are a certified teacher in the State of Florida, you will need to complete the counselor education program and take the subject area competency exam in school counseling prior to graduation. For individuals who are not certified to teach in the State of Florida, you will need to complete the counselor education program, finish the education courses required and take the professional education certification exam as well as the subject area competency exam in school counseling prior to graduation.
How many hours are the practicum and internship experiences? Will I be allowed to work?
- The practicum for the marriage, couple and family counseling program is 200 hours.
- The practicum for the clinical mental health counseling is 200 hours.
- The practicum for the school counseling program is 100 hours.
- Internship I for the marriage, couple, and family counseling program is 400 hours.
- Internship I for the clinical mental health counseling program is 400 hours.
- Internship I for the school counseling program is 300 hours.
- Internship II for the marriage, couple, and family counseling program is 400 hours.
- Internship II for the clinical mental health counseling program is 400 hours.
- Internship II for the school counseling program is 300 hours.
- Total number of hours for the M.C.F.C. and C.M.H.C.- 1000 hours
- Total numbers of hours for the S.C. program- 700 hours
- It is possible to work; however the practicum and internship, particularly for the M.C.F.C. and C.M.H.C. degrees, is similar to a part-time job (20 hours per week).
What do I need in order to graduate from the counselor education program?
Students must complete the following in order to graduate from the program:
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Successful completion of the practicum and internship
- Successful defense of the portfolio (written and oral)
- Capstone project
- Passing scores on the C.P.C.E. exam
Will you help me obtain employment after graduation?
We are happy to write letters of reference for students. Additionally, the university offers students assistance in seeking employment through the Office of Career Development.