Web Service: Wiki
This service is available to any official Stetson University entity.
What is a wiki?
A wiki is both a type of collaborative work space and a collection of web pages that encourages users to contribute to and modify the content. By using a simple web interface, a community can collaborate on developing a document or web page, no matter where they're located.
Wikis can be public-facing, meaning that anyone can see the content, or can be restricted to a defined community within or across organizations. Wikipedia is one of the most well-known public wikis.
A wiki can be either open or closed, depending on the preferences of the community using it. An open wiki allows anybody to make changes and view content. A closed wiki allows only community members to make changes and view its content. Some wikis allow anyone to view content, but only members can edit the content.
A wiki can help you to:
- Combine shared knowledge to improve content and outcomes.
- Collaborate across boundaries.
- Provide hands-on engagement with participants.
- Provide content transparency.
- Improve project management, time management and web resource management.
Before Contacting Us
You should be able to answer these questions:
- Why do you need a wiki?
- What problem would it solve?
- How will it help you meet your organizational goals?
- Who is your audience?
- Who are you writing to?
- What message do you want to communicate?
- What kind of feedback do you expect, and how will you manage it?
If you decide that a wiki is right for you, then continue on.
What We Offer
Stetson University uses MediaWiki for its wiki needs. Upon request and approval, Web Services will install MediaWiki for the requester to use. While we offer support for usage, ultimately it will be up to the requester to maintain the content within the system.
- Determine if a wiki fits your needs.
- Use the Web Service Request form to request that a wiki be set up. Please explain what the goal of the wiki is and how you believe the wiki will help you to achieve it.
- If approved, Web Services will create a MediaWiki installation for you and send you the credentials to get started.