Web Service: Blog
This service is available to any official Stetson University entity.
What is a blog?
A blog is an easy-to-update website or web page where authors write regular entries in a journal-like format. The most effective and interesting blogs allow readers to engage in conversations with the author and other readers. Blogs can provide great benefits, but they can require a large investment in time. Before you jump in, learn the benefits and challenges so you understand what it takes to manage a successful blog.
A blog can help you to:
- Engage with and serve your audience
- Put a human face on the work you do
- Explain your mission, policies and goals
- Promote discussion
- Spot trends early and mitigate potential problems
- Gather feedback and ideas
- Establish yourself as an expert
A blog is not best utilized doing:
- One way communication. The best blogs create a dialogue between the author and readers.
- Short-term initiatives. Blogs need time to gather a following and the initiative might be over before your blog has time to become widely read or known.
- Sharing irrelevant personal information. It's OK to share small tidbits of personal information to give your blog interest and help people relate, but what you share should always tie in some way to official university business.
- Regurgitating press releases. Blogs are meant to be informal. They can be used to supplement or comment on official guidance, such as press releases, but shouldn't be used just to repost formal guidance.
Before Contacting Us
You should to be able to answer these questions:
- Why do you need a blog?
- What problem would it solve?
- How will it help you meet your organizational goals?
- Who is your audience?
- Who are you writing to?
- What message do you want to communicate?
- What kind of feedback do you expect and how will you manage it?
If you decide that a blog is right for you, then continue on.
What We Offer
Stetson University uses WordPress for its blogging needs. Upon request and approval, Web Services will set up a WordPress installation for the requester to use. While we offer support for usage, ultimately it will be up to the requester to maintain the content within the system.
- Determine if your content fits into the blogging category of content.
- Submit an official request to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify Web Services of your intent. Please explain what the goal of the blog is and how you believe the blog will help you to achieve it.
- If approved, Web Services will create a WordPress installation for you and send you the credentials to get started.