Email blasts, commonly known as e-blasts, are a proven advertising tool that can help you reach targeted audiences, amplify your message and promote a call to action. An e-blast is an email sent to a targeted list of recipients.
An e-blast differs from a faculty, staff or student announcement:
- An e-blast is a targeted email sent to specific recipients that are hand-selected to receive the message. The email may feature photographs and other images such as logos, and the design adapts automatically for optimal viewing on mobile devices. Detailed tracking data is available. Cost generally averages about half a cent per email, and a user fee of up to $12.
- An email announcement is a text-only email that blankets everyone in a designated university email list, such as all faculty, all students or all staff. No graphics or images are incorporated. No tracking data is available. While no costs are involved with this option, the lack of an ability to measure success generally restricts this type of e-blast to timely information that has to reach every recipient.
What We Offer
Web Services offers e-blast services to all official university entities. Here are a few things to consider before you proceed:
- Subject Line: These are usually the first words the recipient sees, so they need to be simple, strong and focused. Try to limit the subject line to no more than six words or 50 characters, whichever comes first. Stay away from gimmicks and hooks; they tend to get caught in spam filters.
- Sender ID: The email address that will receive replies from recipients. This address tells the recipient who is sending the email. Use a professional email address.
- E-blast format: Three basic styles are offered.
- Plain: Includes either Stetson University's or your logo at the top, and a simple footer with contact information at the bottom. The e-blast text content is in one column. Text may include bold, italic, underline or color, and the use of simple tables is allowed. A limited font palette is available. This style requires one to two business days from the time the request is received.
- Photo(s): Includes the same features as the plain style, with the addition of photos. This style requires two to three business days from the time the request is received.
- Template: A number of pre-designed, customizable templates are available to help make your e-blast more visually noticeable to recipients. We'll work with you to help identify and customize a template that best fits your needs. This style requires one to two weeks from the time the request is received.
Occasionally, you'll need a custom-built design. In such cases, the project should first be requested through Creative Services, which will provide the design services or recommend that it be outsourced to a vendor. Once completed, the design will be routed to Web Services for implementation. Projects of this nature may require up to three months, in order to accommodate pre-existing commitments, creation of the design, building of the code and extensive web testing to ensure functionality across multiple browsers and handheld devices.
Sometimes, you'll work independently with a vendor for creation of HTML code for an email. In such cases, you can attach the URL of the HTML file to the online request form. However, we cannot guarantee that such e-blasts will be optimized for easy viewing on mobile devices. Statistics show that more than 50 percent of emails are viewed on mobile devices and an estimated 80 percent of those viewers will not pay attention to an email that is difficult to read (e.g., not optimized for mobile view).
- Review everything explained on this page, and decide which type of e-blast best fits your needs.
- Gather all materials needed for your e-blast:
- Content, photos, subject line and sender ID.
- List of email addresses that will receive the blast. Make sure the list is formatted as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (XLSX).
- The university account number that will be charged. This must be a 19-digit Stetson University account number. At the end of the month during which the e-blast is sent, you will receive an invoice showing the full dollar amount charged.
- Complete and submit the Email Blast Request form.
If you have questions about any aspect of an e-blast and/or would like to discuss them before proceeding, please contact Gerri Bauer at email@example.com.