Top Hatter Leadership Awards
Nominate Outstanding Stetson Leaders Today for the Top Hatter Leadership Awards!
Nominate online through Hatter Sync. Below are brief descriptions of the leadership awards available for students, faculty, and staff. Interested in finding out about the specific criteria for each award, then click here to find out more. Nominations are due March 20th at 5:00pm. If you have any questions concerning Top Hatters, please contact Lizzie Dement, Assistant Director of Leadership Development, at email@example.com.
Vibrant Leader Award
Awarded to ONE outstanding Stetson student that has demonstrated vibrancy throughout their leadership. This award is given to a student who has facilitated action within the Stetson community, has embodied Stetson spirit in their choices and leadership, and has inspired passion in their fellow Hatters.
Stetson Values Leader Award - Intellectual Development
Awarded to ONE outstanding Stetson student that has demonstrated commitment to Stetson’s Value of Intellectual Development in their involvements, leadership, and contributions to the community. Commitment to intellectual development includes academic excellence, exploration, inquiry, creativity, integrity, and professionalism.
Stetson Values Leader Award - Personal Growth
Awarded to ONE outstanding Stetson student that has demonstrated commitment to Stetson’s Value of Personal Growth in their involvements, leadership, and contributions to the community. Commitment to personal growth includes intercultural competence, self awareness, religious and spiritual life, and wellness.
Stetson Values Leader Award - Global Citizenship
Awarded to ONE outstanding Stetson student that has demonstrated commitment to Stetson’s Value of Global Citizenship in their involvements, leadership, and contributions to the community. Commitment to personal growth includes Community Engagement, Diversity and Inclusion, Environmental Responsibility, and Social Justice.
Doyle Elam Carlton’s Distinguished Service Leadership Award
The Doyle Elam Carlton’s Distinguished Service Awardrecognizes a student who has served as a leader by dedicated his or her time to serving others in the Stetson and DeLand Community for the past year. This award represents the honorable work of Doyle Elam Carlton, whose name is reflected on our own Carlton Union Building, a 1909 Stetson graduate and Florida’s governor during the Great Depression. Mr. Carlton was infamous among the Stetson community for his commitment to enhancing cultural, religious and intellectual life. Many people have profound admiration, affection, and gratitude for his great and selfless contributions to the life of the University, his state, and his nation.
New Student Leader of the Year Award
Awarded to ONE outstanding freshman or sophomore student who has demonstrated skill as a student leader, dedication to Stetson and the surrounding community, and potential for future leadership success.
Leadership Legacy Award
Awarded to ONE graduating student that has positively impacted others through their skills as a leader by making a lasting impact on the Stetson community that will continue to support others after their graduation.
Extraordinary Leader Award
Awarded to ONE student that has demonstrated brilliant leadership qualities through their commitment and dedication to Stetson University and the campus. This student has created or inspired a change initiative within the community and continues to serve as an active agent, inspiring other students to succeed and make a positive impact in the Stetson community.
Mentor of the Year Award
Awarded to ONE full-time Stetson staff member within Campus Life and Student Success (CLaSS) who has made a significant investment in the lives of their student and staff. This individual supports the development of students as a mentor through their work as an advisor, supervisor, and/or advocate and has invested time in building meaningful relationships with students and staff across Stetson.
Student Organization of the Year
Awarded to ONE student organization that has excelled through completion of its mission, membership, recruitment, leadership development, participation in programming and has made a consistent contribution to student life at Stetson University.
Student Program of the Year
Awarded to ONE group of students who developed and sponsored a program or an event that has enriched the academic and/or co-curricular lives of Stetson University students.
Advisor of the Year
Awarded to ONE advisor of a student organization who demonstrates outstanding commitment and dedication to the advising and advancement of their student group. This advisor has excelled at supporting the mission of the student group they advise and is continuously engaged in the organization’s activities and development.
Community Impact Award
Awarded to ONE student organization or group which has made significant contributions to the communities surrounding Stetson through service.
Student Advocate Award
Awarded to ONE faculty or staff member who has demonstrated commitment to the further growth of student leaders by making a significant investment into the lives of Stetson students. This faculty or staff member serves as a positive role model for Stetson Students through their work, advisement of students, collaboration, and leadership.
CLaSS Student Employee of the Year
Awarded to ONE student employee that works within CLaSS who has consistently exceeded expectations as an employee and demonstrates initiative as they actively engaged in the development of their position and advancing the departments’ goals.
CLaSS Graduate Assistant/Intern of the Year
Awarded to ONE CLaSS graduate assistant/intern who has shown outstanding leadership and initiative within their area and continuously uses the graduate experience as an opportunity to develop as a professional and build a better community for Stetson students.
Top Hatter Leadership Awards Banquet
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Each year, the Stetson University community nominates those students, organizations, faculty and staff in the community who are most deserving of our celebration. These individuals live out Stetson University's core values each and every day.
More information will be released about this event during the spring 2015 semester. If you have any questions, please contact Lizzie Dement, Assistant Director of Leadership Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doyle Elam Carlton's Distinguished Service Award: Logan Dodson
- Altruistic Mentor Award: Jody Magras
- The Diversity and Inclusivity Award: Melissa Doreus
- "The Giver" Book Award: RC Stabile
- "The Giving Tree" Book Award: Gladys Valle
- The Greek Leader Award: Suzanne Lopez
- "The Little Engine That Could" Book Award: Cory Zirkel
- The Organization Advisor Award: Dr. Douglas Phillips
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant: Mercy Lavado
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant: Devin Legge
- Outstanding Student Employee Award: Christian Decker
- The Zen Leader Award: Cherelle Leslie
- The Extraordinary Leader Award: Morgan Resnick
- The Hatter Lifetime Dedication Award: Cheryl Hammock
- Doyle Elam Carlton's Distinguished Service Award: Michelle Vergara
- "Mountains Beyond Mountains" Book Award: Catherine Thuruthiyil
- Altruistic Mentor Award: Nate Burke
- Altruistic Mentor Award: Yolany Gonell
- The Community Builder Award: Alexis Aldamuy
- The Diversity and Inclusivity Award: Jonathan Vidal
- The Chicken Soup for the Soul Award: Susan Ryan
- "The Giver" Book Award: John Tichenor
- "The Giving Tree" Book Award: Shelby Grimes
- The Greek Leader Award: Stephen Schofield
- "Leadership for a Better World" Book Award: Kaleigh Pappas
- "The Little Engine That Could" Book Award: Poorna Selvaraja
- "The Lorax" Book Award: Sasha Pesci
- The Organization Advisor Award: Kevin Winchell
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant: Chelsea Knott
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant: Maggie Sheridan
- Outstanding Student Office Assistant Award: Natalie Faria
- The Phoenix Award: Sonja James-Gaitor
- The Zen Leader Award: Makeda Smith
- The Extraordinary Leader Award: Sarah Merriman
- The Hatter Lifetime Dedication Award: Amy Ammon