What is leadership?
Leadership, as defined by Webster, is "the position or function of a leader, a person who guides or directs a group". People from all walks of life will become leaders, either by choice or necessity. In college, most people begin testing themselves as leaders in various ways, largely in part because college is the first time that young men and women are given independence and self determination. In many ways, college is leadership because of the numerous opportunities that students have to prove themselves in a leadership role and because any college campus, whether the student population is small or large, is essentially a society amongst itself.
There are numerous ways in which you can become a leader at Stetson University. You can start with Stetson University's registered student organizations -- there are over one hundred clubs at Stetson University that cater to every interest, from politics, to animal rights, to firearms and anything else you can imagine. If there isn't anything that quite fits what you're looking for, you can really step up and start your own.
Why should I Step Up?
You should step up because college is one of the final gates into the working adult world, and taking on leadership roles now will benefit you immensely in terms of future employment, resume building and in giving you a richer and more diverse college experience overall. Here are some reasons why you should get involved today:
- Leadership roles in college prepare you for life situations that will occur in the future
- Your involvement in leadership-building experiences can enhance your resume
- You will meet people that will wind up becoming life-long friends
- There is infinite opportunity for you to grow as an individual
- You could create positive social change
- Networking and professional connections almost always follow from leadership roles in college
- You could become a mentor or role model for younger individuals
- You can gain a deeper understanding of individuals and each person's unique set of strengthens and abilities
- You will become more experienced in dealing negative situations, from minor problems to full-blown crises
- It's fun!
What are you waiting for? Get involved in a student organization and start making a difference!
If you are a first year student, you can apply to be a part of the Global Leadership Program.