Snorkel and Serve - Florida Keys
Join us in the summer of 2014 for a fun and impactful trek to the beautiful Florida Keys.
Our time will be spent enjoying the sun, swimming, snorkeling and volunteering. If you like making new friends, trying new things and helping others, this is the Hatter Trek for you. The trip is available to the first 30 students that sign up, so hurry!
What You'll Be Doing
Day 1 - Hatter Day (dinner provided)
The group will meet at 2 p.m. at Stetson University's DeLand campus*. We'll take some time to bond and explore the campus as well as our surroundings, including downtown DeLand.
Our discussions and activities will focus on navigating college as a Hatter and learning about student life at Stetson University. We'll travel by bus to the Hilton Key Largo Resort.
* If you're flying in, your flight should be scheduled to arrive at Orlando International Airport (MCO) no later than noon so that you can catch our free shuttle to campus. The shuttle is scheduled to leave the airport at 1 p.m.
Day 2 - Oh, the Keys! (breakfast and dinner provided)
Today's activities and discussions will help you to understand Stetson University's rigor and academics, and will help you understand how to manage your time in college. We'll also discuss your transition to Stetson University and enjoy some free time experiencing the resort's amenities.
Day 3 - Snorkel (breakfast and dinner provided)
Today we'll go snorkeling for three hours off the cost of Key Largo!
After snorkeling, we'll discuss student involvement at Stetson University, making friends and engaging in community service.
Day 4 - Serve (breakfast and dinner provided)
Today you'll volunteer for a local non-profit.
After this experience, we'll discuss what it means to live Stetson University's three core values: intellectual development, personal growth and global citizenship. Afterward, we'll head back to campus.
Day 5 - Long-Lasting Bonds (breakfast provided)
Before the end of the day we'll take some time to evaluate and reflect on our experience throughout the week. The group activities will end at approximately 10 a.m. and we'll all head home*.
* If you plan to fly home, our shuttle will leave for Orlando International Airport (MCO) at 10:15 a.m. and should arrive at the airport at approximately 11:30 a.m. You should schedule your flight to depart at 1:30 p.m. or later.
- Four or five sets of casual clothing
- Sleeping clothes a roommate would find appropriate
- Light jacket for indoor sessions
- Rain cost/poncho or umbrella
- Outdoor gear, including hat, sunglasses and a water bottle
- Bug spray and sun screen
- Money for lunch and snacks throughout the day
- Sneakers and water shoes for service project days
- Comfortable, active wear for kayaking
- Swim suit and beach towel for snorkeling
- Bath and face towel
- Face wash
- Hair Dryer
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Shower shoes
- A fun book to read during free time
- Cell phone and charger
- Extra cash for souvenirs
- iPod (for travel or sleeping)
*Please complete the intent to enroll form before registering.