Outdoor Adventure - Chattooga River, North Carolina
Join us in the summer of 2014 for an exclusive pass to Wildwater in Chattooga, North Carolina!
Together we'll go whitewater rafting, zip-lining and engage in team bonding with low and high ropes. If you like traveling, the outdoors and are up for a new challenge, this is the Hatter Trek for you. The trip is available to the first 30 students that sign up, so hurry!
What You'll Be Doing
Day 1 (dinner provided)
The group will meet at 2 p.m. at Stetson University's DeLand campus*. We'll take some time to bond and explore the campus and our surroundings, including downtown DeLand.
Our discussions and activities will focus on navigating college as a Hatter and learning about student life at Stetson University. We'll travel by bus to the Wildwater Lodge in Chattooga, N.C.
* If you're flying in, your flight should be scheduled to arrive at Orlando International Airport (MCO) no later than noon so that you can catch our free shuttle to campus. The shuttle is scheduled to leave the airport at 1 p.m.
Day 2 (breakfast, lunch and dinner provided)
The group will go whitewater rafting on Section IV of the Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River. This run covers the steepest section of river currently being run on a commercial basis in the southeastern U.S. In a quarter-mile gorge, the river drops more than 75 feet through the famed five waterfalls. This voyage will help you to understand Stetson University's rigor and academics, and will help you understand how to manage your time in college.
Visit Chattooga Section IV for more information.
Day 3 (breakfast, lunch and dinner provided)
Today's adventure will begin with as you take flight above the forest floor, blanketed with mountain laurel, rhododendron, flame azalea and other native plants and wildlife including hawks and deer, all while rangers share the cultural history of the Long Creek Academy and the Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River region.
After our adventure through the forest, we'll discuss student involvement at Stetson University, making friends and engaging in community service.
Visit Chattooga Ridge Canopy Tours for more information.
Day 4 (breakfast, lunch and dinner provided)
Today's activity is all about team building as we completed the Chattooga Ropes Challenge. The low ropes elements focus on teamwork and will prepare you to navigate your surroundings. The high ropes challenge offers a 40-foot climbing tower with two auto-belay devices. This course provides eight high ropes elements that challenge participants to break personal barriers.
After this experience, we'll discuss what it means to live Stetson University's three core values: intellectual development, personal growth and global citizenship. Afterward, we'll head back to campus.
Visit Chattooga Ropes Challenge for more information.
Day 5 (breakfast provided)
Before the end of the day we'll take some time to evaluate and reflect on our experience throughout the week. The group activities will end at approximately 10 a.m. and we'll all head home*.
* If you plan to fly home, our shuttle will leave for Orlando International Airport (MCO) at 10:15 a.m. and should arrive at the airport at approximately 11:30 a.m. You should schedule your flight to depart at 1:30 p.m. or later.
- Five or six sets of casual clothing
- Sleeping clothes a roommate would find appropriate
- Light jacket for indoor sessions
- Rain coat/poncho or umbrella
- Outdoor gear, including hat, sunglasses, water bottle and small flashlight
- Bug spray and sun screen
- Money for lunch and snacks
- Sneakers and water shoes
- Comfortable, active wear for whitewater rafting
- Swim suit and beach towel for whitewater rafting
- Bath and face towel
- Face wash
- Hair Dryer
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Shower shoes
- A fun book to read on the bus ride and during free time
- Cell phone and charger
- Extra cash for souvenirs
- iPod (for travel or sleeping)
*Please complete the intent to enroll form before registering.