Student Counseling Services offers a variety of services to serve the Stetson University community.
Facts about Student Counseling Services'
- Counseling services are available at no cost to students who are currently enrolled at Stetson University.
- Confidentiality is maintained.
- Counseling records are not part of your academic record.
- Appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- There is no limit to the number of sessions you may attend.
- Appointments may be canceled and/or rescheduled by Student Counseling Services to accommodate emergencies, closures, etc.
Types of Services
Select a subheading to expand the section and make more information appear.
Consultative services are available for faculty/staff members, parents, friends of students, etc. who are concerned about a Stetson University student. Consultations consist of confidential phone calls or face-to-face meetings with a counselor to discuss the individual's concerns. Guidance, helpful resources and referrals may be provided so that the student may be supported.
Individual counseling is a confidential meeting with a counselor to discuss the student's concerns. The goal of individual counseling is to help the student gain insights and skills for personal and academic success. The process may include assessment of the problem, brief solution-focused counseling and support with difficult events or circumstances. The counselor may also suggest a referral to additional resources on campus or in the community.
Couples and Relationship Counseling
When appropriate, Couples and Relationship Counseling focuses on the challenges of our interpersonal connections regardless of whether it concerns romantic partners, friends or roommates. If a student interested in this type of counseling is already working with a counselor, they may discuss this option with their counselor.
Groups of six to 10 individuals regularly meet to discuss and/or work on concerns regarding a specific concern or set of concerns. Group counseling is typically used as a supplement to individual counseling, but it can also be done on its own.
» Groups and workshops are offered during the Spring 2018 term.
Crisis counseling may be needed when a student is in extreme distress. This may be needed after a traumatic event, such as a serious threat to safety, an injury or assault, the death of a friend or family member, or a disaster. The student may contact Student Counseling Services during regular working hours by phone or in person. After business hours, the student may contact an on-call counselor by calling Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
There may be times when a student may benefit from or wish to work with on- or off-campus resources, which may include tutoring and writing support with Academic Success, formal testing (e.g., AD/HD, learning disability, etc.), working with an outside counselor or psychiatrist, etc. In these cases, Student Counseling Services may refer students to on-campus resources or provide local resources which students may utilize. Student Counseling Services does not recommend or refer to any particular provider; the resources given will simply represent local services that may be beneficial to the student.
Educational Presentations and Training Sessions
A variety of educational presentations may be conducted throughout the academic year. Educational presentations may be presented to faculty, staff and administrators, as well as to student groups. Several available presentations are readily available; others may be developed upon request.
In addition to educational presentations, Student Counseling Services provides training sessions for Stetson University student leaders, including resident assistants and FOCUS orientation event leaders, as well as for faculty and staff professional development. Several training sessions are readily available; others may be developed upon request.
» To Request a presentation or training:
- For faculty, staff, or students: Submit an Event Request Form online. Student Counseling Services' Outreach Coordinator will receive your form details and will follow-up with you.
» Contact us for additional information
* There are many Stetson partners who also provide presentations, trainings, and other programming. Based on the type or content of the request, Student Counseling Services reserves the right to recommend that other campus partners may collaborate with Student Counseling Services and/or fulfill the requestor's presentation or training request. In such case, Student Counseling Services' Outreach Coordinator will contact the requestor with this feedback, as well as information regarding who the requestor should contact to fulfill their needs.