Winter Break - Residence Hall Closing
All residence halls (except Stetson Cove and UVA) are not open during the Winter Break. All students must leave within 24 hours of their last final exam/paper, or by Saturday, December 15th at 3:00pm (whichever is sooner). As we change the exterior door locks over Winter Break, you will NOT be able to access your room after you leave. So, while you don't need to move out completely (unless you are doing a room change or graduating/transferring/withdrawing), remember to take everything that you might need over Winter Break, including all medications, airline tickets, passports, valuables, etc. We cannot let you back in to your room once we have closed for Winter Break. Please plan ahead and make arrangements now to be out of your room by the deadline.
The residence halls open back up for the Spring semester on Sunday, January 13th, and classes begin on Monday, January 14th.
Please take a minute to review the following important information. Your RA will be having a mandatory hall meeting before finals to review this information as well as give you some other very important information regarding the hall closing process.
Effective on Friday, December 7th at 10:00pm, 24/7 Quiet Hours will begin campus-wide. Quiet Hours are meant to ensure that all students have the ability to sleep, study and prepare for end-of-the-semester academic work without being interrupted. Students who violate Quiet Hours will be automatically documented and referred to our Office of Community Standards.
Moving Out/Not Returning for Spring:
Students who are not remaining in their same room for the Spring semester (due to graduation, leaving to study abroad, transferring, or doing a room change) need to schedule a check-out time with their RA and be moved out before Saturday, December 15th at 3:00pm. Failure to properly check-out will result in the assessment of improper check-out fees.
When you leave your room for break, make sure these are done:
- All windows and doors are closed and locked, and all blinds are open.
- Refrigerators are unplugged, cleaned out, and defrosted. (Defrosting can take a several days, so plan accordingly!) Leave the refrigerator door open to allow the air to circulate.
- All alarm clocks are shut off (so they don't go off/beep when you are gone – even when they are unplugged, but still running off of an auxiliary battery).
- All trash and recycling is removed from the room and placed in to dumpsters or recycling bins.
- All aquatic life (or any pet from the Pet Friendly areas) is taken home with you.
- All lights are turned off.
- All air conditioning units are set to their coldest temperature.
- All paper, furniture, and other objects are removed and kept at least 12 inches from any air vent (to ensure proper air flow in your room while you are gone).
- For suite-style bathrooms: All belongings and trash/recycling are removed from the suite bathrooms so that housekeeping staff can clean your bathroom over break.
- All medications, passports, identification, and valuables are removed from the room. You will NOT be able to return to your room during Winter Break – the locks will be changed!