Fall 2013 Closing and Winter Break Information
All residence halls (except Stetson Cove and UVA) are not open during the winter break. All students must leave within 24 hours of their last final exam/paper, or by Saturday, December 14th at 12:00pm (whichever is sooner). As we change the exterior door locks over Winter Break, you will NOT be able to access your room after you leave. So, while you don't need to move out completely (unless you are graduating, transferring, withdrawing, or otherwise not returning to your same room), remember to take everything that you might need over winter break, including all medications, airline tickets, passports, valuables, etc. We cannot let you back in to your room once we have closed for winter break. Please plan ahead and make arrangements now to be out of your room by the deadline.
The residence halls open back up for the Spring semester on Sunday, January 12th, and classes begin on Monday, January 13th.
Please take a minute to review the following important information. Your RA will be having a mandatory hall meeting before finals to review this information as well as give you some other very important information regarding the hall closing process.
Effective on Friday, December 6th at 10:00pm, 24/7 quiet hours will begin campus-wide. Quiet hours are meant to ensure that all students have the ability to sleep, study, and prepare for end-of-the-semester academic work without being interrupted. Students who violate quiet hours will be documented and referred to our Office of Community Standards.
- Unplug all eletronic devices.
- All windows and doors are closed and locked, and all blinds are open.
- Refrigerators are unplugged, cleaned out, and defrosted. (Defrosting can take a several days, so plan accordingly!) Leave the refrigerator door open to allow the air to circulate.
- All alarm clocks are shut off (so they don't go off/beep when you are gone – even when they are unplugged, but still running off of an auxiliary battery).
- All trash and recycling is removed from the room and placed in to dumpsters or recycling bins.
- All pets, including aquatic animals, are taken home with you.
- All lights and fans are turned off.
- All air conditioning units are set to their coldest temperature.
- All paper, furniture, and other objects are removed and kept at least 12 inches from any air vent (to ensure proper air flow in your room while you are gone).
- For suite-style bathrooms: All belongings and trash/recycling are removed from the suite bathrooms so that housekeeping staff can clean your bathroom over break.
- All medications, passports, identification, and valuables are removed from the room. You will NOT be able to return to your room during winter break – the locks will be changed!
- Lock your door behind you as you leave.
You need to be sure to do these things before you leave for break. Housing and Residential Life staff will be inspecting rooms after you have left to ensure you have completed the above tasks. Failure to do so may result in our staff unplugging your devices, etc. and possible charges or referral to the Office of Community Standards.
Do I have to complete a check-out with an RA?
If you are returning to the same room in the spring semester, you do not need to complete a checkout with an RA. If you are moving out, you will need to schedule a check-out in advance with an RA and then bring your keys to our office in University Hall (8:00am-4:30pm Mon-Fri) or to Public Safety after hours.
Is my residence hall staying open over break?
Halls that will remain open are Stetson Cove and UVA.
Halls that will close are Carson, Chaudoin, Conrad, Gordis, Hatter, Hollis, Houses 1-7, Houses A-E, Nemec, Smith and University Hall. These halls close at 12:00pm on Saturday, December 14th.
Please ask your RA or contact our central office if you have any questions regarding the closing process. It is your responsibility to know what to do, but we are more than happy to answer questions. Just ask!
Good luck on your finals! Have a safe and relaxing winter break!
Late Stay Requests
Closing dates have been posted and available since last year, so it is important that you have made travel plans in accordance with the closing of the residenec halls. We do understand, however, that exceptional circumstances may arise so you may request a late stay beyond the closing of the halls by submitting a Late Stay Request Fall 2013 form through Housing Central. These forms are due December 2nd. Approved late stays are charged a $50 per day contract extension.
Winter Break Housing
Stetson Cove and the University Village Apartments (UVA) remain open during winter break. We recognize that in-season NCAA athletes may need to remain on campus to continue competing in their sport and other students may have exceptional circumstances that lead them to seek housing on campus over break. Requests for housing over the break period are made through the Winter Break Contract and Lease Extension 2013 form available through Housing Central. These forms are due December 2nd. Approved winter break contract extensions are charged a flat $770 rate for housing.
If you live in Stetson Cove or UVA and plan to remain on campus for any length of time between Dec 14th at 12:00pm and Jan 12th at 8:00am, you will need to submit the Winter Break Apartment Residency 2013 form in Housing Central. This form is due December 2nd.
Early/Late Arrival Requests - SPRING
The residence halls open for returning students on Sunday, January 12th. Students who are seeking to arrive before or after that date must submit an Early Arrival Request Spring 2014 or Late Arrival Request Spring 2014 form through Housing Central. These forms are due January 2nd. Approved early arrivals are charged a $50 per day contract extension.