Crime Prevention and Reporting
If the Situation is Urgent
If the Situation is not Urgent
- DeLand Campus: Call Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
- Gulfport Campus: Call Public Safety at 727-343-1262.
- Center at Celebration: Call 911
- Tampa Law Center: Call 727-420-8868
We encourage all members of the campus community to report all non-emergency criminal incidents, threats, serious injuries, property loss, accidents, safety hazards, etc., to the Office of Public Safety, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In the event of an emergency or other immediate threat, danger, injury or crime in progress, call 911 for assistance from local police, fire or emergency medical personnel.
The Office of Public Safety works closely with local law enforcement agencies to better serve Stetson University.
As circumstances warrant, special crime alerts are prepared and distributed either selectively or throughout the campus. Please do not hesitate to contact Public Safety with information regarding any security concerns on campus.
The Office of Public Safety strives to teach the campus community how to best protect themselves and their property. Students and employees must assume responsibility for their own personal safety and the security of their personal belongings by taking simple, common-sense precautions, including:
- Do not prop open or unlock exterior doors to the residential buildings. By propping open a door, you put your life, and the lives of others, in serious jeopardy. It only takes seconds for an intruder to enter through a propped door.
- Lock the door to your residence hall room/office, even when leaving for a short time.
- Mark valuable items with an engraving instrument. The Office of Public Safety can provide one free of charge.
- Secure your bicycle with a sturdy lock.
- Park your vehicle in your assigned area and keep it locked. Keep valuables out of sight or lock them in the trunk.
- Report suspicious individuals to the Office of Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
- After dark, feel free to call the Office of Public Safety at 386-822-7300 for an escort.
At Stetson University, safety is a primary consideration in the maintenance, groundskeeping and lighting of the campus. We report all safety and security hazards to the Office of Facilities Management.
The university has installed emergency telephones at various outdoor locations on the campus. These outdoor telephone boxes are easily identified by a blue light which is mounted directly above the box. To report an emergency, request an escort, or to request motorist assistance, press the button on the panel. All calls are immediately traced and the location of the phone is displayed on a screen to the Public Safety dispatcher. Two-way communication with the dispatcher is immediately established. This enhanced emergency phone system also enables the dispatcher to know the origin of the emergency call, even if the caller is unable to communicate verbally.