Living off Campus
Living on campus is a unique experience that is unparalleled in uniting students with Stetson’s vibrant on-campus community. If exploring off-campus options and joining Stetson’s community of commuter students interests you, please familiarize yourself with our residency requirements and exemption process.
Stetson University is proud of both its residential campus and its tradition of a vibrant campus community. Therefore, the university has a three-year residency requirement.
Residency Requirement Exemptions
Exceptions to this requirement may be granted to those students who, by the 1st of August:
- has earned 22.5 or more academic units (ninety or more credit hours).
- are 22 years of age or older
- are married or is in a legal domestic partnership.
- reside locally within 45 miles of the University with immediate family. (Immediate family is defined as the student’s parent(s), grandparent(s), legal guardian(s), aunt/uncle, or siblings not enrolled at the University).
- are participating in a University-approved, off-campus internship or program that requires them to live outside the local area may also be exempt from this requirement only for the duration of their internship or other academic program.
- has a demonstrated an exceptional and compelling individual circumstance as determined by the Executive Director of HRL or their designee.
Application for Exemption
The student must submit a Residency Exemption Request form if they'd like to live off campus. Cancellation fees apply after May 15.
The Residency Exemption Request form for the 2017 - 2018 academic year is available online and can be found in Housing Central.
Students who are not approved to live off-campus after submitting a Residency Exemption Request form and who fail to adhere to the residency requirement will be assessed a housing charge equal to the lowest published housing cost calculated for each semester of the applicable year of enrollment.
If you are planning to withdrawal from the university please follow the proper procedures from Stetson's Campus Life department.
Please familiarize yourself with the proper procedures for moving off campus in an effort to smooth your transition process between living spaces without fines.
Upon moving off campus you will be joining Stetson’s community of commuter students. Check out the Stetson University’s Commuter Student Service web page!
The Department of Residential Living and Learning is committed to providing a healthy, inclusive and safe environment that supports the growth and development of all students. We recognize that some residential environments and configurations may not be completely accessible to all students. Therefore, students may request consideration for their housing assignment in order to have equal access to the residential experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recognize that many students have questions as the conmsider on-campus housing an invite you review our frequetly asked questions page for more assistance!