Information for International Students
Per the Cultural Exchange Act and university policy, international students are required to have medical coverage and need to obtain a health insurance plan that will provide adequate coverage for them in the Stetson University/Central Florida area. Students may choose their own insurance plan, but it should meet the basic criteria below.
Upon obtaining adequate health insurance coverage, international students must show proof of health coverage to staff at WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning.
Basic Plan Criteria
The following are recommendations (or requirements) of what your medical plan should include:
NOTE for J-1 Visa students: Items below that have a double asterisk (**) are required per Federal Register Law 22 C.F.R. 62.14
- Your plan should enable you to obtain local medical services in the Stetson University/Central Florida area by covering all or part of the cost (e.g., medical costs for local doctors, hospitals, specialists, radiologists, laboratory work, etc.)
- To avoid coverage and medical treatment issues:
- Your plan should have the ability to pay medical bills in U.S. Dollars.
- Your plan must have a claims/medical billing address in the U.S.
- ** Your plan should provide at least $100,000 or more of medical coverage (medical limit) for each illness or sickness.
- ** If your plan includes a deductible, the deductible must not be greater than $500 per accident or illness. This will also help to keep your out-of-pocket costs down.
- ** If your plan has “Co-Insurance Coverage”, in order to keep your out of pocket costs down, choose a plan that provides at least 75% (or more) of Co-Insurance Coverage. (this means the insurance company will pay 75% of the medical bills, and you pay 25%) the better the Co-Insurance coverage by the insurance company, the less cost for you.
- ** Your plan should provide Medical Evacuation Expense Coverage of at least $50,000.**
(If medically required by a doctor, this benefit would cover expenses to send you to your home country)
- ** Your plan should provide a Repatriation of Remains benefit of at least $25,000.
- ** Your plan policy should be underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
- an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above
- a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above
Important Tips for Any Insurance Plan
Use In-Network/Preferred Providers
When choosing either a local doctor, hospital, specialist or medical provider, always search for in-network/preferred providers at your insurance company's website.
- When searching for providers, use the DeLand's zip code to conduct a search in the local area. DeLand's zip code is 32720.
- Insurance plans cover more of the incurred medical costs when you use an in-network/preferred provider. This results in a lower cost to you.
- If your insurance company does not have an in-network medical provider link on their website, call them to ask for a medical provider listing for the DeLand/Central Florida area.
Please note that insurance information will also be covered during the International Student Orientation.
For students looking for guidance, below are two insurance plans that provide adequate coverage for students that meet the requirements above.
Secure Student Plan with International Student Insurance (ISI)
» ISI Plan Website (Plan Info, Premium Costs and how to Enroll):
- The "Select" or "Elite" Plans offer the best benefits of the plans offered.
- Policy Coverage Max Choices: Select/$300,000 or Elite/$500,000
- Elite Plan: Covers 100% of medical costs for In-Network doctors & Medical Providers - Student pays a $25 deductible payment
- Select Plan: Covers 80% of medical costs for In-Network doctors & Medical Providers - Student pays a $25 deductible payment
- Rx/Prescriptions: covered at 80% (you pay 20% of Rx cost)
- Plan premium cost can be paid in one payment or monthly (slight fee).
- Both Plans have a six-month Pre-existing Health Issue Exclusion. (This means that for the first six months of coverage, the plan will not cover medical treatment costs on any health issues you already had before signing up for the insurance plan).
- Includes $5,000 coverage for Sports related injuries
- The Coventry In-Network list of doctors and medical providers is available online. -Use Deland Zipcode: 32720 for search
ISP Sports Plus Plan/McCloskey-United Health Group
ISP Sports Plus Plan (Plan Info, Premium Costs, how to Enroll in the plan):
- This plan includes $10,000 for Sports-related Injuries
- Plan Has Unlimited Policy Coverage (no coverage maximum)
- Covers 80% of Medical Costs for In-Network doctors and medical providers
- Rx/Prescriptions: Set Copay Structure - You pay either $15 (Tier 1) or 20% to 30% of the actual cost depending on what tier the medicine is in.
- Does NOT have a Pre-Existing Health Issue Exclusion (no exclusion for medical costs relating to a pre-existing health issue that is covered condition)
- In-Network/Preferred Provider Network is at Plan Link above.
-Use Deland Zipcode: 32720 for search.
For more information on insurance, or for answers to questions regarding insurance, please contact Terry Gordon, director of risk management, at 386-822-7701 or email@example.com.
WORLD Contact Information
Your contacts at WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning are Roxanne Lewis and Paula Hentz. To contact WORLD, please call 386-822-8165, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the WORLD website at stetson.edu/world.
24-Hour Nurse Line: 866-799-2670 (toll-free)
- Nurse Line - Talk with a trained nurse about your health or medical concerns at any time.
- Available 24 Hours a day, 365 Days per year
Student Personal Property Insurance Coverage
- Reasonable coverage just for college students.
- Includes accidental damage, theft, hurricane, flood, fire, lightning surge, etc.
- Student Plan is primary over parents' homeowners insurance, which often have high deductibles.
- Protect your computer, cell phone and other electronics and valuables for as little as $100 for a year's coverage and deductibles as low as $25.
- Coverage is available to students living on-campus and off-campus.
- Coverage applies while gone on breaks and traveling abroad.
- Coverage extends to bikes, jewelry and musical instruments up to $2,000.
Please note that as with any property insurance plan, make sure to document the property you are covering. Documentation can include purchase receipts, photos of the items and written records of the product name, model number, value/cost you paid and any applicable serial numbers. Keep this information in a file in case you need to make a claim.
For more information and to sign up, please see the CSI/Gallagher Student Property Insurance website. Choose Florida and Stetson University/DeLand.