The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement at Stetson University is committed to providing our parents or guardians with resources to assist their students in making the right decision when it comes to joining a fraternity or sorority.
Will My Student be Safe?
Stetson University has strict policies regarding alcohol consumption and unregistered events through our organizational policies developed by the Office of Student Governance and Organizations. All chapters are held accountable through University's code of community standard and their Inter/National Headquarters. As an institution we strive to educate and practice a responsible and safe environment for Stetson students.
Is Membership Expensive?
Greeks pay dues every semester to help cover the costs of national and international fees, operational expenses and social functions. The cost of each organization may vary so it is important that your student is asking about expenses, payment plans and other financial responsibilities during recruitment or intake. New members will pay higher dues their first semester and dues will be lower once they are initiated members.
Will My Student Be Hazed?
Stetson University has a zero-tolerance hazing policy that is consistent with the state law. If you hear rumors or suspect your student is involved with hazing, please contact The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement at 386-822-7208.
Benefits of Greek Membership
There are many benefits of your student being a Greek community member, including:
- Constant support system through the interactions and relationships built with in the fraternity/sorority and greater Greek community here at Stetson.
- Access to academic resources through study buddies, tutors and required study hours.
- Guidance of upperclassmen who have been at Stetson for a long period of time.
- Access to leadership development and experiences.
- Opportunities to remain active on campus through other orgnaizations and offices here at Stetson University.
- Lifelong friendships, networking opportunities and a sense of community amongst peers at Stetson.
Supporting Your Student
If your student is interested in going through the recruitment process, there are many ways to support them.
- Keep an open mind. Ask questions and take the time to learn more about the fraternity and sorority experience before jumping to harsh conclusions. Support is key.
- Talk with your students about financial obligations. Who is going to pay? What are the financial limits? Is this the best decision for your student at this time?
- If your student has questions about fraternity and sorority life, have them reach out to make phone calls and inquiries. This is an opportunity for them to develop interpersonal communication skills. They can reach out to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement at 386-822-7208.
- Never hesitate to reach out to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement with any concerns you might have. The purpose of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement is to be a resource and tool for students, university administrators and parents when inquiring about fraternity and sorority life at Stetson University. We are here to assist you in any way we can.