Bright Future Scholarships
The Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program establishes three lottery-funded scholarships to reward Florida high school graduates for high academic achievement. The Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program is comprised of the following three awards:
- Florida Academic Scholars (F.A.S.) award (including Academic Top Scholars (A.T.S.) award)
- Florida Medallion Scholars (F.M.S.) award
- Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars (G.S.V.) award
Initial Eligibility Requirements to Receive Funding
The student will:
- Be a Florida resident and a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. A student’s residency and citizenship status are determined by the postsecondary institution. Questions regarding such status should be directed to the financial aid office or admissions office of the institution the student plans to attend.
- Not owe a repayment or be in default under any state or federal grant, loan or scholarship program unless satisfactory arrangements to repay have been made.
- Meet specific coursework and minimum grade point average (G.P.A.) and test score requirements which are outlined on the Office of Student Financial Assistance (O.S.F.A.) website
- ATS - The Academic Top Scholars award, announced by the Florida Department of Education before the end of the fall term after all term one disbursements are reported, is awarded to the Florida Academic Scholar with the highest academic ranking in each county (based on the product of multiplying the Bright Futures G.P.A. and the highest qualifying SAT/ACT test score). The recipient receives a cost per credit hour award established by the Florida Legislature in the General Appropriations Act in addition to the Florida Academic Scholars award (current year award amounts)
- Annually complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA does not have to indicate financial need; however, must be complete and processed error free prior to a student's first disbursement of the academic year.
Excerpted from the 2012-2013 Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program Fact Sheet.
Award Amounts per Credit Hour
These figures are based on the cost per credit hour for four-year universities and are from the 2013-2014 academic year, which are the most recent figures that are currently available.
- Academic Top Scholars (A.T.S.): $43.00
- Florida Academic Scholar (F.A.S.): $103.00
- Florida Medallion Scholar (F.M.S.): $77.00
If you have any further questions regarding Bright Futures and the other state financial aid programs, please see the Bright Futures Scholarship Program website, the State of Florida's Office of Student Financial Assistance website or call the Florida Department of Education at 888-827-2004.
If you have any questions regarding your financial aid at Stetson University, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 800-688-7120.