Safe Zone Resources
Stetson University does not endorse the following organizations but lists them as resources.
Stetson University DeLand Campus
Student Health Service
To promote optimal health and wellness, disease prevention and provide quality health care that is appropriate, affordable, accessible and relevant. The staff strives to empower students to be self-directed and well-informed and to continually improve the standards of health care.
- Address: 549 N. Bert Fish Ave.
- Phone: 386-822-8150
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.stetson.edu/administration/health-services/
The Counseling Center provides mental health services for students dealing with personal, social, academic or career concerns. The Counseling Center can help with a wide range of concerns such as relationship issues, family problems, homesickness, addictions, depression, anxiety, loneliness and low self-esteem. The Counseling Center helps students to achieve a more satisfying educational and life experience at Stetson. The student may contact the Counseling Center during regular working hours by phone or in person. After hours, the student may contact a counselor by calling the Stetson Public Safety Office at 386-822-7300.
- Address: 601 N. Bert Fish Ave.
- Phone: 386-822-8900
- Website: http://www.stetson.edu/administration/counseling/
Committed to providing Stetson University with a safe environment allowing for an enjoyable experience for students, faculty and staff. The Department of Public Safety operates 24 hours a day, 365 days per year to ensure your safety. Officers provide a full range of services including routine patrol of the campus, parking enforcement, safety inspections and after hour escort services.
- Address: 405 N. Amelia Ave.
- Phone: 386-822-7300
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.stetson.edu/administration/public-safety/
Kaleidoscope: Stetson's Gay/Straight Alliance
A community-based organization that actively pursues opportunities to promote acceptance, friendship and partnership of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight communities. Kaleidoscope works to create a supportive atmosphere for LGBTQIA and allied students to discuss their feelings and thoughts about sexual orientation and gender identity. Through education and awareness initiatives, it hopes to reduce anti-gay violence, harassment and discrimination by promoting a greater understanding between students, school administration and the local community.
See the Cross-Cultural Center Assistant Director for more information.
Sponsored by the Cross-Cultural Center, the Safe Zone program is designed to improve visibility and support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex and Asexual (LGBTQIA) students and employees. Safe Zone offers training on how to best assist and serve LGBTQIA students. The Safe Zone identifies a staff member, faculty member or student who has completed Safe Zone training. For a complete list of members or training opportunities please see the Safe Zone website.
- Address: 611 N. Bert Fish Ave.
- Phone: 386-822-7402
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.stetson.edu/safe-zone/
Volusia County Resources
Most of the resources in the Volusia County community are those offered on campus. Here are the local resources of which we are aware:
PFLAG (Parent, Friends, and Families of Lesbians and Gays): An organization with many chapters that provide support to LGBTQIA individuals and family members. Some chapters have monthly meetings, speakers' bureaus or annual conferences. Everyone is welcome. All meetings are confidential.
- PFLAG New Smyrna Beach/Volusia
- Phone: 386-566-2422 or 386-478-9012
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PFLAG Orlando/Central Florida
- Address: P.O. Box 141312, Orlando, FL 32814
- Phone: 407-236-9177
- Email Address: email@example.com
Gay-Friendly Local Businesses
- Coffee Bistro 101
- Address: 101 N. Woodland Blvd. #101, DeLand, FL 32720
- Phone: 386-738-2776
- Cook's Buffet and Bakery
- Address: 704 N. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, FL 32720
- Phone: 386-734-4339
- The Abby
- Address: 117 N. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, FL 32720
- Phone: 386-734-4545
- Cafe Da Vinci's
- Address: 112 W. Georgia Ave., DeLand, FL 32720
- Phone: 386-424-8282
- A-List Salon
- Address: 106 B S. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, FL 32724
- Phone: 386-624-6936
- Clay Pigeon Pottery Shop
- Address: 120 S. Woodland Blvd., DeLand, FL 32720
- Phone: 386-734-1100
Daytona, Orlando and Beyond
- Clubhouse Restaurant
- Phone: 386-257-0727
- Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida, Inc.
- Phone: 386-255-6573
HIV Peer Support Groups
- Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
- Address: 201 University Blvd., Daytona Beach, FL 32118
- Phone: 386-235-6420
- Volusia Pride, United Church of Christ
- Address: 203 Washington St., New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168
- St. Dorothy Catholic Community
- Phone: 407-610-5109
- Central Florida's GLBT Community Center
- Address: 946 N. Mills Ave., Orlando, FL 32803
- Phone: 407-228-8272
Additional Online Resources
The following is a sample of websites that are applicable to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues. We are not able to guarantee that every site is in working order, nor are we responsible for the content/information presented on these pages or the hyperlinks on them.
- Gay Daytona Business Guild
- Queer Resources Directory - Resources for gay interests and issues, including civil rights and AIDS information
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Studies
GLBT Magazines and News Updates
- Fact Sheet on AIDS
- HIV/AIDS, Centers for Disease Control
- HIV/AIDS & STDs, Centers for Disease Control