GSA Equality Conference
Get EXCITED! The 2nd Annual Volusia County High School GSA Equality Leadership Conference will be a full day of workshops for students and educators from Volusia County, Fla. This is a great opportunity to connect with new friends as you build your advocacy "tool kit" with resources that include:
- Information on how to start and energize your Gay Straight Alliance
- College admission information
- Tips on how to be an effective ally
Participants will have several breakout sessions to choose from from: a youth-led Q&A panel, gender and orientation awareness, and more!
Date, Time and Location
- The GSA Equality Conference will be held on Saturday, March 9, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Registration begins at 7:45 a.m. at the Rinker Field House, located at 602 N. Bert Fish Drive, DeLand, FL 32723. An optional campus tour will be conducted at 4 p.m.
- Parking is available at the Rinker parking lot located on the corner of East Pennsylvania Ave and North Bert Fish Drive.
Please return your registration form via mail or fax to:
Meghan Walter, Ph.D.
Department of Counselor Education
421 N. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, FL 32723
Break Out Sessions
Mingling with the Minions
Learn about terminology and get your (anonymous) questions answered in this interactive session with Kaleidoscope members.
Coming Out With Confidence
Coming out is a process that involves recognizing and accepting one's sexual identity. This very personal process can be a very long and mind-boggling journey but can ultimately result in self-acceptance and the reconciliation of feelings about one's sexuality, all of which is important for personal growth.
Spirituality and LGBTQ
This session will explore an intersection of identities, with an emphasis on supporting a common vision of helping to create a shift in gay and queer culture towards greater self-love, wisdom, social justice, and healthy and sacred ways of living.
Transgender Youth and Family Panel
This workshop is designed to help participants develop an effective approach to creating safety in schools for gender-nonconforming students.
Ally Training for Educators and Counselors
Training focuses on the role of the ally during the coming-out process, resources in the community, terminology and best practices. Participants will be able to place a Safe Zone placard on their door that identifies them as someone that is willing to listen and to help identify resources.
The first Volusia County High School GSA Equality Leadership Conference was held in April of 2012 and was spearheaded by Meghan Walter, Ph.D., professional school counselor and assistant professor in Stetson University Department of Counselor Education, in partnership with Amy Hall, Ph.D., district counseling specialist for Volusia County Schools. The conference was a result of the advocacy efforts of a Volusia County family on behalf of their child and of all children in Volusia County Schools. This family's engagement has also led to teacher, staff and administrator training on identity and orientation issues as well as equality and strategies for safe schools.
The 2nd Annual Volusia County High School GSA Equality Leadership Conference is hosted in community partnership by:
- Stetson University's Department of Counselor Education
- Volusia County Schools
- Chi Sigma Iota, international honor society for counselors and counseling students
- Kaleidoscope, Stetson University's gay-straight alliance
For more information please contact Meghan Walter, Ph.D., at 914-263-0059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.