Lavender and MSC Award Banquet
Lavender and MSC Award Banquet will recognize self identified LGBTQIA graduates, Safe Zone Allies, multicultural student organization leader, supportive faculty advisors and staff for outstanding contributions toward social justice and cultural awareness efforts at Stetson University.
Graduating seniors that would like to be recognized at the banquet please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Graduates will receive lavender honor cords and rainbow peace hand symbol pins to give to your ally/ies.
MSC SINGLE NOMINATION AWARDS
The following awards will be given to only one individual or MSC recognized organization.
Organization of the Year- Recognizes the student organization that demonstrated consistent flexibility, initiative, creativity, and perseverance; made a meaningful contribution to students, the University, and/or the surrounding community; and organized activities, events, and programs that have had a significant impact on the quality of campus life at Stetson University. This organization is known for signature programs and strong retention of members.
Most Visible Organization - Recognizes an MSC organization that continuously made great strides in representing their organization at Open House, Org Fair, and Green Feather among other campus wide efforts. This organization made a great name for themselves through creative marketing efforts.
Most Improved Organization - recognizes a MSC organization that has made improvements over the past academic year specifically related to membership recruitment and involvement, campus programming, and community service.
Outstanding MSC Organization Program - Recognizes a MSC organization program that enhanced the University community by utilizing a different and creative approach; explored and fostered innovative and efficient ways to reach and involve diverse student audiences; and coordinated and managed a fiscally sound, well-planned program that was open to all Stetson University students.
Outstanding MSC Organization Leader - Recognizes a student leader that provided exemplary service, commitment, and strong leadership to a MSC organization at Stetson University. This person has made a meaningful contribution to members of the organization; motivated the group; made him/herself/zeself available and brought out strengths and talents of individuals in the group; exemplified integrity in all words and actions; and demonstrated initiative by seeking ways to challenge the present and enrich the future.
MSC Innovator Award - Recognizes a student that is passionate about social justice and committed to strengthening Stetson University's efforts to create safe and inclusive spaces on campus through passive and educational programming, and community service. This person continuously strived to foster collaborative efforts between multiple MSC organizations and supported MSC programs and initiatives.
Outstanding MSC Organization Advisor - The Outstanding MSC Organization Advisor is awarded annually to a faculty or staff member who has gone above and beyond their job description and played a significant advisory role to a student organization. This individual has been exemplary in their assistance to the organization, played an active role in their activities and programs and worked diligently to provide an educational experience for its individual organization members. **Advisors may be nominated by organization officers, members, advisors or other members of the campus community.
MSC MULTIPLE NOMINATION AWARDS
Multiple recipients will receive the following awards (one person per organization):
Outstanding Member of the Year - This award is presented to students who have demonstrated outstanding dedication and leadership to their organizations. They are known for being reliable and often represent the organization, help with activities, and takes initiative to do get the work done when no one else is willing or able.
New Member of the Year - This award goes to a new member who has joined their respective organization in the past academic year (Fall 2012-Spring 2013) and has exemplified extraordinary effort towards the enrichment of themselves and their organization as a whole. They have great potential to take on an executive role in the future.
Most Supportive Member / Unsung Hero - Recognizes a student that puts his/her/ze heart and soul into everything he/she/ze does, but often goes unrecognized, works "behind the scenes," goes above and beyond typical requirements of a student organization member.
LAVENDER NOMINATION AWARDS
The following awards will be given to only one individual.
Lavender Leadership Award - Recognizes an individual for outstanding leadership, dedication and service within the University, or in the community that has resulted in new resources, services or programs for LGBTQIA constituents at Stetson University.
Outstanding Ally Award - Recognizes an LGBTQI ally whose words and actions have helped to make Stetson University a more inclusive campus for all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Building Bridges Award - Recognizes lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or ally individuals or organizations for their tremendous efforts to serve the LGBTQIA community by building coalitions and fostering understanding among our diverse community. Additionally, this individual or organization serves as a role model for their peers and demonstrates commitment to raising awareness of, and lobbying for, LGBTQIA issues and events at Stetson University.
3rd Annual Lavender Graduation Recognition
The Lavender component of the Lavender & MSC Award Banquet is a special graduation ceremony that honors the achievements of graduating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students on campus. At Stetson we are also recognizing Safe Zone Allies and individuals that have done great strides in advocating for safe and accepting spaces on campus.
Frequently asked questions:
1) What is Lavender Graduation?
- This reception congratulates and celebrates the achievements of LGBTQ and Allies undergraduate seniors and graduate students. It's basically an opportunity for us to thank you for your contributions to the LGBTQA community and/or the Stetson Community in general. In addition to celebrating our graduates, we will give the graduates a chance to thank and appreciate their allies whether they are fellow students, family members, friends, faculty, and/or staff. The award banquet will include dinner.
2) Why should I participate?
- Lavender Graduation rewards you for your accomplishments while a student at Stetson. It also serves as a formal "goodbye" as you move forward after graduation. You will be able to serve as an example and inspiration to the Stetson community, particularly fellow students.
3) Who attends Lavender Graduation?
- Everyone is welcome! Students, faculty, staff, family, friends and alumni all attend the ceremony. If you have individuals you would like to invite to watch you participate, simply have them RSVP by email: email@example.com by Monday, April 21.
4) Will I miss my "real" graduation?
- No, you will not. Lavender Graduation is held on April 26, well before real graduation.
5) Do I have to be an LGBTQA leader or extensively involved with LGBTQA issues?
- No, you do not. Lavender Graduation is held to celebrate all sorts of achievements by LGBTQ and Ally students.
6) What should I wear to the ceremony?
- Don't worry: no caps and gowns for this ceremony! Most participants in the past have chosen to dress "business casual," but you are welcome to dress as you wish.
How to Participate:
Please send us several pieces of information. Copy and paste to email.
(NOTE: This information will be read aloud at the ceremony):
Your name as you'd like it on your Lavender Graduation certificate:
College/School (Music, Arts and Sciences, etc.):
2-4 sentences that will serve as your parting message.
This may include:
- Your involvement on campus
- What you've gained at Stetson
- A parting message for the LGBTQA community
- Or anything else you'd like to share
You will then be given the chance to thank up to 2 allies that you would like to recognize as especially important to you. We have rainbow peace hand symbol pins for you to give your ally/ies.
Name of Ally:
Name of Ally: