About the Counseling Center
Select a subheading to expand the section and make more information appear.
Mission and Vision
As members of the staff of the Counseling Center, we support the mission and values of the university and that of the Division of Campus Life and Student Success. We promote the holistic wellness, self-exploration and personal growth of our students through confidential counseling, outreach and programming, consultation, crisis response, and connection with campus and community partners. We assist students in defining and accomplishing their personal and academic goals, daring them to lead a life of significance.
The Counseling Center makes a significant contribution to the Stetson University community. We provide a proactive, responsive and effective service for students, faculty and staff. The staff of the Counseling Center is committed to providing ethical, competent and current services consistent with national best practices in professional counseling. We continually meet the changing needs of our growing and diversifying student population while helping to reduce the stigma associated with mental health and help-seeking behavior. We are proud to provide professional counseling services, free of charge, to Stetson University's students.
The Counseling Center realizes its mission and vision by:
- Delivering individual, couple, group counseling services, crisis response, threat assessment, consultative guidance, as well as outreach and educational programming;
- Providing a safe, welcoming, inclusive and caring environment where concerns of any nature may be shared freely and confidentially;
- Employing evidence-based, culturally sensitive, clinical practice consistent with student concerns;
- Facilitating students' self-exploration and awareness and fostering intrapersonal and interpersonal development and growth;
- Connecting students with additional resources and services in support of the whole person;
- Empowering students to develop and maintain resilience, autonomy and self-advocacy; and
- Promoting awareness and integration of the dimensions of wellness to support a healthy and diverse learning community.
Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
The Counseling Center staff values, celebrates and affirms the diversity and uniqueness of all. We understand that there are many different cultural and social groups within our society and the world. We believe that valuing and supporting diversity maximizes human growth and development, and enhances the quality of life in our community and throughout the world.
The staff works to follow the ethical and multicultural standards set forth by the American Counseling Association and other professional organizations of which each individual counselor is a member.
Confidentiality and Privacy
While it is necessary to keep records of services in order to comply with standards of care and fulfill legal and ethical requirements, you can be assured that no record of counseling is ever part of your academic or any other university file. No information about your counseling will be communicated to anyone without your written authorization except under the following circumstances:
- If you are under 18 years of age, your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) may have access to your records and may authorize their release to other parties.
- If you are determined to be in clear and immediate danger of harming yourself or someone else.
- If you disclose sexual misconduct by a therapist.
- If you disclose abuse or neglect of children, the elderly or disabled persons.
- To qualified personnel for certain kinds of program audits or evaluations.
- In criminal court proceedings.
- In legal or regulatory actions against a professional.
- In proceedings in which a claim is made about one's physical, emotional or mental condition.
- When disclosure is relevant in any suit affecting the parent-child relationship.
- Where otherwise legally required.
The professional staff at the Counseling Center confer with one another in order to provide the best possible care.
The Stetson University Counseling Center clinical staff is composed of professional licensed counselors and graduate-level counselors-in-training.