Please note that the course outline specified here is a sample and is subject to change at any time. Therefore, your actual course of study may differ from the outline specified below.
|Week||Topic||BMLA Chapter||GRM Worksheet|
|1||Overview of the Course and Orientation
|2||The Law Office||3||W2, W5|
|4||Oral and Written Communications||6||W6|
|5||The Courts, Administrative Agencies||9, 10||W7|
|8||Computers in the Law Office||4||W11|
|9||The Law Library||8||TBA|
|10||Review Week||Review 1-6, 8-11|
|11||Preparation of Legal Documents||7||W12|
|12||Contracts, Torts||12, 13||W13|
|15||Business Organizations||16||W17, W18|
|17||Estate Planning, Estates and Guardianships||18, 19||W20, W21|
|19||Review Week||Review 7, 12-20|
|20||NALS Online BLTC Final Exam (proctored)||1-20||n/a|
- BMLA - Basic Manual for the Lawyer's Assistant
- GRM - The Gregg Reference Manual
- Participation - based on contact with the instructor: 10 percent
- Review Questions - open book: 20 percent
- Chapter Quizzes - open book, timed: 30 percent
- NALS Final Exam - closed book, proctored, timed: 40 percent
- There is a severe point penalty assessed for exceeding the allotted time on any quiz or exam.
- The Gregg Reference Manual worksheets have no grade component but they are essential to passing the ALP Examination. The instructor may consider this work in determining a participation grade.
- Stetson Certificates
- Participants who receive a 95 percent or higher in the course and are recommended by staff and faculty will have "With Highest Excellence" reflected on their Stetson University course certificate.
- Participants who receive a 90 percent or higher in the course and are recommended by staff and faculty will have "With Excellence" reflected on their Stetson University course certificate.
- A Stetson University Lawyer's Assistant Certificate and a NALS Basic Legal Training Course certificate will be awarded to anyone who obtains a course grade of 70 percent or better.