Sample Course Syllabus
For the current schedule of classes, please contact Rosemary Cangelosi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grade Components and Certificates
- Grades are determined by a student's participation, quizzes, course exams and the NALS Basic Legal Training Course final exam.
- Participants who receive a 95 percent or higher in the course and are recommended by staff and faculty will be designated as graduating "With Highest Excellence."
- Participants who receive a 90 percent or higher in the course and are recommended by staff and faculty will be designated as graduating "With Excellence."
- A Stetson University Lawyer's Assistant Certificate will be awarded to anyone who attends at least 80 percent of the scheduled classes and obtains a final grade of 70 percent or better.
- A certificate of attendance will be awarded to students who attend less than 80 percent of scheduled classes, provided their final grades is 70 percent or better.
While the ALP exam is not factored into a student's grade, students are expected to sit for this exam. This exam will typically be given on a Saturday morning at a NALS-designated test site during the day, usually at 9 a.m. Students will have to make arrangements to adjust their schedule to ensure their availability. The ALP exam cannot be taken other than with the rest of your class at the scheduled date and time. Students would be required to pay a re-take fee if necessary or if they do not take the exam as scheduled. We cannot accommodate changes as this is a national exam with parameters set by the NALS organization.
ALP exam fees included in the course tuition. Students who are registered for the ALP exam by Stetson University but do not take the exam (or fail any part of the exam) will have to reschedule directly with the NALS organization and pay the respective fees associated with rescheduling or retaking the exam.
Texts include the following:
- Basic Manual for the Lawyer's Assistant (Textbook)
- Basic Manual for the Lawyer's Assistant (Student Study Guide)
- The Gregg Reference Manual