Thank You Letters
Thank You Letters
It is essential to send a thank you note after every connection you make in your job search including networking, informational interviews, job shadowing and interviews. Thank you letters serve many purposes:
• Acknowledges your appreciation for your contact’s time and effort
• Keeps you on the contact’s mind for future opportunities or referrals
• After a job interview, a thank you letter gives you an opportunity to reiterate your interest, skills and qualifications for the position.
After a networking session, phone call or email exchange:
• Send a thank you the same day; this thank you note may be sent over email
• Thank the person for the specific advice they provided
Sample Thank You note sent electronically
Dear Ms. Smith:
I would like to thank you for the helpful information that you provided during our phone conversation this past Thursday. Your insights into the field of marketing were invaluable and have assisted me in clarifying my career goals.
As you suggested, I made an appointment with Mark Lowry at Marketing, Inc., to discuss his career in marketing research. I appreciate this referral and am sure that it will be very beneficial. Also, thank you for recommending Sales & Marketing Management magazine to me. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Thank you again for your time and your willingness to share your experiences with me as I explore potential career fields.
Angela M. Brown
After a Job Interview
• Send a thank you to EVERYONE who interviewed you. If you met with more than 7 people, it’s appropriate to send a letter to the person who coordinated the visit, mentioning the names of all the people that you met.
• Remind the employer how your skills and experiences fit the position requirements. If you can think of an experience that relates to the position that was not discussed during the interview, this would be an appropriate time to mention it.
• Send an email thank you within 12 hours and a handwritten thank you by regular US mail within 24 hours
o Many candidates will only send an email. A handwritten note can help you to stand out.
o Use quality note paper or elegant thank you card
Sample hand written Thank You note
814 S. Main Street, Apt #5
Yourtown, FL 3700
March 21, 20xx
Ms. Olivia Smith
Product Design Director
Ingenious Toy Company
1 Andonly Way
Job Town, FL 37000
Dear Ms. Smith,
Thank you for the opportunity to interview with you on Tuesday, March 20 for the position of Product Design Assistant. The experience confirmed my interest in your company and my confidence that my background will be beneficial to the goals of Ingenious Toy Company.
As we discussed, during my summer internship at ABC Toys, I learned many of the toy design techniques that the video game department will be implementing. I am also excited about your training program and the opportunities provided to grow within the company. As my past successes have indicated, I learn quickly and am adaptable to any situation.
I look forward to seeing you again and meeting others within Ingenious Toy Company as well as visiting your new facilities. If you have any further questions or need additional information, please let me know. Thank you again for your time and consideration.