Job Prospecting Letter/Letter of Interest SAMPLE
A letter of interest, also known as a prospecting letter or inquiry letter, is sent to prospective employers that may be hiring, but haven't listed a specific job opening to apply for. Your letter should contain information on why the company interests you and why your skills and experience would be an asset to the company. Also provide information on how you will follow-up and where you can be reached.
- Indicate your interest and reveal your source of information.
- Outline your strongest qualifications.
- Focus on broader occupational and/or organizational dimensions.
- Describe how your qualifications match the work environment.
- Do some personal marketing.
- Convince the employer that you have the personal qualities and motivation to contribute to the organization.
- Suggest an action plan.
- Request an interview.
- Indicate that you will call during a specific time period to discuss interview possibilities.
- Express appreciation to the reader for his or her time and consideration.
Sample Letter of Interest / Prospecting Letter
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip
Dear Ms. LastName,
I read about Company X's retail management training program in College Graduate Magazine and I would like to inquire about the possibility of openings. I am interested in a career in retail management and am planning to relocate to the New York City area in the near future. I would be interested in learning more about the company and about available opportunities.
As a recent graduate from Stetson University, I have a Bachelor of Business Administration in Management. Additionally, I have retail experience as a Sales Associateand havecompleted two internships focusing on retail management.
My resume, which is enclosed, contains additional information on my experience and skills. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the training program with you and to provide further information on my candidacy.I will call you during the week of January 24 to discuss possible employment opportunities. In the meantime, if you need to contact me, my number is (555) 555-5555. Please leave a message if I am not in, and I will return your call the next day.
Thank you very much for considering my request. I look forward to talking with you.
Your Typed Name